Well...I have reached the point of having to make another tough life decision. I have been unemployed technically since September of 2011. Shortly after been let go I was given a job by my cousin, while working for him I met a young farmer/entrepreneur. After moving back to Calgary I have been desperately (but maybe not desperately enough) looking for work. Unfortunately, getting people to give me the time of day, let alone an interview has been proven to be a bit of a challenge. I could go on and on about my frustration in trying to find a new job...but that would have to be a whole post of it's own and it could be one of those things where I say a few things that could hurt chances of employment...it's not a good idea to complain about potential employers...anyway...
About two weeks ago I was texted by this farmer he was asking me if I would be interested in coming to work for him. This is where the hard decisions begin. To work for him would me packing up and moving to another province, and not only that, moving to small town Sask.. I was not really sure that was what I wanted, but for some reason the employment prospects for calgary where turing up squat...even interviews that seemed to go really well would fizzle out after a few days. I managed to buy a little bit of time to make my decision, about coming to work in saskatchewan in hopes that something would come up in Calgary, and things did, but then they didn't; here's just some of what happened: I had an interview the exact same day I was offered the Job in Sask.. It was for a job I really, really wanted. The interview went great, we seemed to really connect and things seemed promising, but a week went by and nothing, as I neared the end of the second week I sent a follow up email, and they didn't even respond. I have also been working parttime at a sound and lighting rental shop, last week they offered me full-time work, they are great to work for, but just weren't offering me enough to live off of, then this week they seemed to change there mind, decided they couldn't afford it. Just last week one of my friends phoned to discuss the possibility of working or him, they even had me come on for a few days casual, things seem really promising, yet they did not give me an actual job offer. And even just today I had a phone call at about noon in regards to a job I had applied for, as I was working a temp job I was unable to answer the phone. When I had a chance I phoned him back and he didn't answer the phone. I left a message and have yet to hear from him...meanwhile my friend in Sask. is waiting for an answer.
Finally after all this I decided to say "Yes" to the guy. Now I have to decide how I am going to arrange the move. I looked into the cost of moving my stuff out there, (I am being provided with a place to stay for free, so rent is not an issue). As the position is some what seasonal I had to consider the cost of moving away too. To get a uHaul for a oneway trip with a car trailer to get my stuff there is about $600 (and maybe more if I use too many KM's) so that would be about $1200 to move there and back. Plus, when I do move back I would have to find a new place to live and go through all that mess again. There is also the cost of my time to pack up and move everything and do it all over again. The other option was to rent a storage space for most of my stuff, but then again that would cost a pretty penny to... fortunately I have a roommate who is also opposed to movie, and I believe that we have come up with a mutually beneficial agreement, for about the same price as moving my stuff I will pay him "rent" and get to keep my stuff where it is at. I see a few benefits to this: If the job does not work out I can just move back, I don't have to move anything, and I will have a free place to stay in Calgary when ever I come back here to visit.
So I am moving to Saskatchewan, but not...thus I have a decided to do both/and, now I have a final thing to fret about: My Drivers Licence, car insurance, vehicle registration, and health insurance. From what I can gather, if I am not physically present in a certain province for more than 182 days than I am no longer considered a resident of that province. This brings a new expense to my world. While Saskatchewan has cheaper car insurance and vehicle registration (both a rolled into one, where Alberta insurance is private), there is still some cost associated with that...Like a vehicle inspection, I will have to pay to register my car in Saskatchewan and to cancel my registration in Alberta, there may also be some expenses associate with cancelling my insurance, and because I may only be there for part of the year I will have to do it all over again in the fall. Of course I could just fudge it a bit and maintain my alberta drivers licence and registration...augh... this is all so frustrating. Never-the-less I will be working in Saskatchewan about this time next week.
And I was hoping that I would fret less about the decision after it was made...but I guess not...which makes me fret even more...