Hello Friends,
Thank you for joining me in another monthly update, sorry this one is a bit late...I was having some computer problems and could not get to my blogging as I had other matters to attend to, but here is a little snap shot as to what happened in November:
The first two weeks the students were in class: The First and second year students to a class on Prayer, taught by Barbara Billett. For those who do not know here, she is a ministry leader from one of our associated churches in Lethbridge, Alberta (Here grandson was on this summer's "7-weeks in Asia"). She has been teaching on prayer for many years and has written a book: "Praying with Fire". If you want training on how to use the word of God in your prayer life I recommend you purchase a copy. You can find out more at this website: http://www.prayerworks.ca/
The third and fourth year students had a class with Pastor Matt,—the senior pastor of our international church here in Sri Racha—on modern cults. They explored many of the different sects and fringe religions that exist both in the Western world and present in South East Asia.
For the second half of November the students went to Hua Hin, Suratani, and Phangan Island (I believe). They went to minister in various different churches and schools, and to help with the Thai pastor's conference. It was decided that I would stay back and help keep things running around Sri Racha—this was a joint decision, I did not really want to go on the trip, and Pastor Al did not really have anything for me to do on the trip. It was a wonderful and quiet two weeks with out the students. On one hand a little boring, but on the other hand...I was able to accomplish much in regards to my homework and other task I had to do.
Of course I had to give the students a bit of a teasing...when the left I would lament, "Oh I am going to miss you guys, I mean, who is going to clean up after me, and who is going to cook me breakfast in the morning." And when they came back I told them, "Oh, you're back, just when I was starting to catch up on my sleep." or "I was just getting used to the quiet."
The truth is they had a great trip that really helped to build them as a team of students, and they were able to bless the ministries they worked with.
While the students were away I started helping out more in our after school English program. This is a program we run for Level 1, 2, and 3 children, about the equivalent to preschool, Kindergarten, and Grade 1 in most Western school systems. After the students are dismissed from their schools they come to the bible college were they sing songs, play games, hear stories, make crafts, and learn to read in English. These kids are 5-6 years old and they read and speak far better English than I speak Thai.
We offer van services for the children, where we will pick them up from school so their parents do not have to, and for the first few months I was here I would simply be the van driver, but when the students went away this month I realized that we would be short helpers so I started coming into the class room and helping teach. I have continued doing so even after the students returned.
The Children that come absolutely love the class, many of them begging their parents for "5 more minutes" when it is time to go home. The parents are very happy to, and often wonder why it is the children love our school so much. We definitely have a lot of fun. And it is great to share kindness, joy, and love with my 20 "adopted" nieces and nephews.
Well, I need to get this posted before another week goes by so I will end there. I wanted to thank you all for your continuing support. Because of you I am able to be here.
(I had some photos to share, but I could not get them off my phone at the time of posting this, so i will make another post later)
Have a great day, and Merry Christmas.
Tyler