 |
| Merry Christmas from After School Care |
Friends,
Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I wanted to take a moment to update you with some of the things that happened in December. Also a rather late: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thank you to all who have sent me holiday greetings and love this season.
The first few weeks were business as usual: The VABC students continued with their studies: the first and second years took a course on Prophetic Ministry, and the third and fourth years had a class on Creation. I do not know what all was taught in Prophetic Ministry as not many of the students in that class asked for help. However, I did help several of the students in Creation class with their homework as there was a lot of scientific terms used that were unfamiliar to them. I had to reach way back to my high-school sciences for some of the information, but I managed. Then the last course the students took before Christmas break was Church history II - Modern Church movements. They learned about church history from The Lutherian reformation to today, learning about the different revivals (Weslian, Azusa Street, etc.), I did have to help a bit with this class as well, but at least it was a subject I was a little more versed in.
I also continued to help with the After School English classes in the afternoon. I absolutely love those kids, they are so fun and a joy to teach. December was quite busy with Christmas/New Years Party for the kids at After School Care, so they were a little more excited than usual, but we had a lot of fun.
 |
| A few of the cray kids I hang out with. |
 |
| We have a lot of fun in After School Care |
Christmas break for the bible college and After School Care started December 24th and ran until January 4th. This was my first Christmas away from home, ever, and I was a little worried about being homesick. While I definitely missed my family and the traditions we have during Christmas, but I was so busy I had very little time to "miss home."
 |
| My family in Canada sent me somethings to make it feel like Christmas |
It was very different being here, it truly did not feel like Christmas...maybe due to the fact that it was +25-+30 degrees everyday, so the weather did not feel like Christmas. Regardless Christmas came upon us and it was almost a surprise. We did have a few Christmas parties at church and with the After School Care kids that helped me to remember. (I even managed to "sneak" into the Purvis Family Dinner, so don't worry mom, I got some turkey and stuffing.)
 |
| Our Band Performing at the Phuket Gospel Music Festival |
On Christmas Day, after having breakfast with Pastor Al's family, we loaded up the truck and the van and a group of us drove down to Phuket for the "Phuket Gospel Music Festival" and Heidi Baker Conference, and Tenth anniversary of the Tsunami, our worship band was going to take play in the events, and those of us not in the van were going to help in the conference and have a bit of a vacation. We drove about 16 hours, leaving Sri Racha around 1 PM and getting to Phuket around 4 AM.
The first day was a test of patience as lack of communication, unfamiliarity with the city and the need for sleep caused tempers to be short. However, we managed to survive.
 |
| Heidi Baker and her translator bring message on God's provision. |
Aside from the stressful first day in Phuket, the rest of the trip was fun. We got to hear some great bands from all over South East Asia, there was even a band from Namibia, Africa (I believe that was the country). We also heard some powerful teaching and preaching from Heidi Baker (some how I ended up running sound for one of the meetings), and got to enjoy some time on the beach. I found the beaches and sights around Phuket a bit too crowded for my liking, but on our drive back we spent the night in a quiet little town on the Pacific ocean side of Thailand which I quite enjoyed.
We returned to Sri Racha the 30th of December. Spent a few more days relaxing and hanging out with the students that were around and then on the 5th of January we started our programs back up again.
In January the students will be taking a class on Motivational Giftings, and another on Rescue Ministry. We also have a trip planned to Malaysia for some of the students and some outreaches in local schools planned for those who are not going to Malaysia. Finally, there will be a woman's conference at the end of the month. So another very busy month coming here in Thailand. I will let you all know how it works out.
Thank you again for your on going prayers and support,
Until next we talk,
Tyler
A Boy Wonder
 |
| Class is Back In Session |
Labels: Daily Life, Update, VABC