 |
| Some of the young men from TLCI took me to the park. |
Hello friends,
I am in India teaching at our sister college TLCI, and, at the time of writing this, am about half way through my course on "Understanding and Applying the Bible." This is the fourth time I have taught this course and the second time I have taught it here in India (though to a different group of 1st and 2nd year students).
 |
| TLCI has a simple vision: "Transforming Ordinary People Into Victorious Leaders (for God)" Students from nearly every state in India come to be trained and developed in the Ministry. |
Today, being the students "Day Off'/Cleaning Day here at TLCI, I decided to take some time to update my blog as I haven't posted anything for a while.
Thailand and the Passing of the King: My deepest Sympathies to the people of Thailand and the passing of their King.
Thailand is a constitutional monarchy—though currently much of the elected branch of government has been suspended by a military coup...for the last 4 years. For 70 years they had been under the rule of King Bhumibol Adulyadej; he passed away in the middle of October. The entire nation has been mourning this loss. He was greatly loved and respect by his people. His death was not unexpected as he had been in ill-health for several years, but it still leaves the country in a state of uncertainty as they look to what the future holds for the Monarchy, the government and democracy in Thailand.
1 year of mourning for the government, and 100 days of mourning for the general public was declared the day after his death. His body lays in state at a temple in Bangkok.
Victory Asia Bible College: Things are in full swing at VABC...the students have gotten into the grove. Since we returned from Philippines we have had courses on Hebrews, and Motivational Gifts for the 1st and 2nd years; and classes on ministry administration and pastoral care for the 3rd and 4th years. The 2 weeks before I came to India the students went with Pastor Al and Pastor Becky on the fall jungle trip (I did not go with them). They went up into the far north right along the boarder of Laos and spent time in the villages. They helped move part of a mountain and a church build its kitchen. (They had a great time, and if you want to get updates about what they do and what our other ministries in Thailand do you should check out: www.facebook.com/wmcontinuum or our website victoryasia.com for updates and information)
 |
| The VABC students get opportunities like no other. (Photo Credit: Al Purvis) |
 |
| "We ride in the Jeep and Trailer on twisty mountain roads."..almost became our slogan, but we thought "We ride Elephants" would cause less worry in parents. (Photo Credi: Al Purvis) |
Now they are taking a course on Prayer with Pastor Barb Billett from Lethbridge.
When I get back from India it will almost be a month since a spent time with the students.
EEC: Our Children's after-school English is still going strong; because October is a school break we usually run English day camps and this year was no different. Because I am now spend most of my time at the LightHouse and EEC takes place at "The Tower" I did not spend much time with the children this past month. When I return from India I will once again be driving the shuttle van for the kids to bring them from their schools to our program.
Personal: Hannah and I have set the date for our wedding to be April 20 of next year. We are beginning to plan the wedding as well as sort out all the details of two people from different nations getting married in a third nation. Marriage laws in Thailand are a little different than in Canada, but the process is not that different. I just have to prove that I am legally able to be married; to do so I have to get a sworn affidavit signed by me and notarized by my embassy and the Department of Foreign Affairs. Aside from having to run around Bangkok two mornings to get this done, it was not hard. The Thai government requires the same from Hannah as well, but her Embassy would notarize the affidavit with out additional documents from myself and her family...which has been a bit frustrating. Once we have the notarized affidavits (with certified copies in Thai) we can go to the local registration office and register the marriage.
One thing that is different from both Canada and Pakistan is that in Thailand you technically do not need a wedding ceremony. It is the registration of the marriage at the district registry that counts. Once you register the marriage at the office by making a sworn statement before the registry agent and two witnesses you are issued the marriage license and legally married. Many people will still have the marriage ceremony for their family and friends, according to their religious beliefs, but, unlike in Canada, the ceremony does not have to be conducted by a registered member of clergy or a Justice of the Peace. In fact, you can have any type of ceremony you like, and have anyone you like conduct the ceremony. (Though some couples will hire a district registry agent to attend the ceremony and complete the marriage license there; he will not conduct the wedding, but at some point in the ceremony they will sit down with him and sign the marriage license)
Here are some photos from a recent Engagement shoot that we did with our friend Doo.
We are still sorting out details for our wedding and will be sending invites to close friends and family soon...also, recognizing that we have many friends in Canada and Pakistan we are planing on having receptions in each of those places. If you want to know more about our wedding plans I suggest you follow our wedding website: hannahandtylerwed.wordpress.com
That is about all for now...thank you all for your love and support...if you have any questions please reach out. I would love to hear from you.
Tyler Thompson
A Boy Wonder