July Update

Hello there,

So it's been several months (Maybe 6 *cough*) since my last update.  I had started a post a few months ago and got busy with the end of college stuff, and weddings, and then I just forgot.  There has been so much that happened in the last several months, and I am not really sure if I should share it all in one post; as there are a few events that need more than a by-word in a summary post.  I will consider writing a post with some reflections on those bigger events soon.

First: Weddings, Weddings, Everywhere.

Tobin and Eunice were married in Seoul April 15, 2017

Our Wedding on April 20, 2017
Those of you who follow me on other social media, or talk to me on a regular basis will know that Hannah and I were married on April 20.  Five days earlier, my brother was married in Korea.  I was able to just make it for the wedding ceremony but was unable to spend much time with him.  For those wondering why we had our weddings so close together...well this way our family in Canada didn't have to chose which wedding they could attend.  By having the weddings less than a week apart our parents and sisters could come to both (As one was in Korea and the other was in Thailand, and it is easy to fly between the two).  The reason we had the weddings around the same weekend in April (which also happened to be the weekend of VABC grad) was because my brother picked the date of his wedding first.

Tobin's wedding was very unique, it was a traditional Korean wedding with all their cultural and religious elements.  It was as much a wedding ceremony as it was a play and a lesson in Korean history and Culture.  Unfortunately, it was also completely in Korean; so I have very little idea as to what was being said.




The groom enters to collect his bride

Part of the ceremony; taking the vows.

More dancing.
Gift exchanges; each gift has a special cultural significance


The museum provided a dance troop.



Hannah and my wedding was a western wedding.  We held it on the evening of April 20 and kept it short.  My immediate family (and one friend) came from Canada, though my brother and his wife were not able to come.  Unfortunately, Hannah's family was unable to get visas and could not come to our wedding.  It was very unfortunate.  But the wedding was great, we had many of our friends from across Thailand in attendance.


She is absolutely gorgeous
Taking our Vows


The countdown is done.  We are married.
Let them eat Cake



The tossing of the Boquet

For a Honeymoon, we spent a few weeks relaxing in Thailand.  My younger sister and her family stayed in Thailand for a bout week so we got to spend some time with them.  We also spent 3 weeks in Pakistan, visiting with Hannah's family and were hoping to go to Canada, but Hannah's visa application has not come through yet, so we are unable to come to this summer.


Pakistan was great, our family and friends there were very welcoming.  We spent a lot of time visiting friends, and we preached at several church services while there.  We didn't get everything done that we were hoping to, but we had a good time and Hannah got to show me some of the sights.

Preaching at a community church in Pakistan

Sunday Morning service at Hannah's home church

Having lunch in Islamabad

With Pastor Ilyas; Hannah's pastor.

My Sister-in-Law Sara translating for me.

We went to see a large Mosque in Lahore

Hannah and I with our Ami.

Sunday afternoon feast

Another Sunday morning with FGA Gujrat; Hannah translated.

Our nephew Ethan.

At Lakeview Park in Islamabad.  They had carnival rides there; this is the Ferris wheel

Another meal with our nephew.

Another Sunday service with FGA Gujrat

Speaking at the Youth meeting on Saturday.

Hannah sharing with the Youth

I was going to talk about VABC grad in one of my updates to, but so much time has passed since then so I won't say much other than Congrats to all this year's graduates.  Our Valedictorian this year was Hosea, who is the son of  Pastor Ilyas in Gujrat Pakistan (Hannah's Home Church).

Hosea giving a moving Valedictorian address.


We are getting ready for the next year of VABC we have about 20 students signed up.  We also have an exciting Summit coming in September.

There is one other major event that happened in my life.  My Grandma Thompson passed away in June.  She was 90 years old (almost 91).  I am reluctant to tag this on the end of this post, as I would like to write more to honour her, and it's a bit heavy to end a blog post.  I may write a tribute post to her later.

An Old Photo: (left to Right) Grandma T, me, my sister Amanda, Uncle Rick, my brother Tobin.
Grandma's, Uncle Rick's and Tobin's birthday are all close in date; so often celebrated together.




The one thing that weddings and funerals have in common for me as a missionary, is how far away I am from my relatives.

Well, that is what has been going on in our lives here in Thailand lately,  I hope you found this update engaging.

Hannah and I appreciate your prayers and on going support. If you want to know more about our ministry in Thailand, please send me a message or comment on this blog post.

Blessings,
Tyler
A boy wonder